Lewis' Blog Tales from the trenches of information technology

30Jan/100

Fixing a Broken iManager 2.7.3 Install on OES2 SP1 Linux

Download PDF

I had occasion a couple months ago to upgrade the last NetWare 5.0 installation (no kidding!) we had in the field. Despite everything I'd read about the NetWare to Linux migration tools being fixed and working much better than previous releases, it was sheer agony, and certainly not worth the effort for an eDirectory tree consisting of five users and 4GB of data.

I migrated the hardware from an Acer Altos 930 with dual 233MHz PII's and 512MB RAM to an HP DL380 G4 with dual Xeons and 4GB RAM. Considering that the hardware was 64-bit capable, I went ahead and (probably against my better judgment at the time) installed the 64-bit version of SLES 10 & OES2 on the new box (more on the whole 64-bit mess in another post).

I'll probably post yet another note about the agony of the migration from NetWare 5.0 to 5.1 to 6.0 to 6.5 and then to Linux, but suffice it to say that I had to re-do the install several times along the way, just to get a clean setup (I was never able to get the files to migrate; those I copied manually from a USB stick on a workstation!). Somehow, in the process, iManager broke.

I followed the steps in TID 7003152 to the letter. I even reinstalled the entire OS (no kidding; I was tired & frustrated at that point). Still, every time I would apply updates, iManager would break.

Last night, in between some other work, I had another look at the problem (hurray for VNC!). It turns out that something broke the Tomcat install as well as messing up a call to what should have been the 64-bit mod_rewrite Apache module (in the iFolder Apache confs). Tomcat was a bit tougher to figure out, but once I fixed the mod_rewrite issue and at least got to a Tomcat 503 error page when trying to access iManager, I knew I was in the home stretch.

I have a note about the fix for this here.

Comments (0) Trackbacks (0)

No comments yet.


Leave a comment

No trackbacks yet.